as of Jan 21, 2021
$1 Billion USD
Source: Software Pundit on 2/19/21
ClubHouse Statistics by SoftwarePundit
(+ More stats inline) as of 2/19/2021
As of 2 days ago, here are some amazing stats that Bruce Hogan, Co-founder & CEO of SoftwarePundit shared on his site:
- Clubhouse, the audio-only social media app, recently raised $100 million of venture funding in a round that valued the 10-month-old business at $1 billion. Its previous round valued the business at $100 million before the company had a public website.
- Brief timeline of ClubHouse users
- April 2020: ClubHouse launched
- May 2020: 270 daily active users (DAU) w/ ~1500 DAUs by the end of the month
- Dec 2020: 600,000 DAUs
- Jan 2021: 2 mill DAUs
- Feb 2021: 6 mill DAUs – Sources: Techcrunch, New York Times, CNBC, Medium
- Feb 21, 2021: 10 mill DAUs
ClubHouse Search Statistics from Google Trends
United States Search Demand for “ClubHouse App” and “ClubHouse”
Global Search Demand for “ClubHouse App” and “ClubHouse”
Visually Mapped GEO Search Demand for “ClubHouse App”
Visually Mapped GEO Search Demand for “ClubHouse “
Top “Clubhouse App” related queries from Google Trends
- clubhouse android
- clubhouse app android
- what is clubhouse
- clubhouse app stock
- clubhouse stock
- clubhouse app invite
- clubhouse invite
- clubhouse social app
- club house
- club house app
- clubhouse social media
- clubhouse app aktie
- who owns clubhouse app
- clubhouse aktie
- clubhouse app à¸„à¸·à¸
- whats clubhouse app
- clubhouse app for android
- neue app clubhouse
- was is clubhouse app
- creator of clubhouse app
- how does clubhouse app work
- clubhouse app adalah
- what is clubhouse app
ClubHouse Stats from AppAnnie
as of 2/18/21
- Social networking apps surpassed 9.6 billion downloads in 2020 and accounted for nearly 45% of all time spent on mobile
- As of February 1, [ClubHouse] had over 3.5 million global downloads
- 8.1 million by Feb 16, 2021
- quickly garnered attention in the UK, Germany, Japan, Brazil and Turkey
- and from China, Japan and Korea (in the past 2 weeks — anecdotal evidence I’ve seen and validated — i.e., beginning of February 2021)
- exceeds 2.6 million downloads in the US alone
- ClubHouse has inspired competitors including:
- Facebook is reportedly beginning to build an audio chat product, aimed at rivaling Clubhouse
- Quilt, an audio social app focusing on wellness and community, just announced a $3.5 million seed round
- Twitter is working on a similar product called Spaces. Source
- Globally, apps such as Dizhua, Tiya and Yalla are attracting users in countries including China, the US and Egypt and Saudi Arabia and Turkey, with 174,000, 6 million and 34.5 million global downloads
- Yalla, the app has been around since 2016.
- so far in 2021, 59% of Snapchat’s iPhone users in the US also now use TikTok as of Jan 2021.
More from AppAnnie’s MobileMinute (the source of this data)
ClubHouse’s Popularity Outside the US
Top ClubHouse Clubs
as of 2/19/2021
|Rank||Category||Club Name||Total Members + Followers||Creator|
|4||Hustle||WomXn in Business||209,000||@xtinaholder|
|6||Hustle||Instagram Marketing Secrets – Tips, Tricks & Guidance||193,000||@marketing|
|7||Hustle||Creative Executive Officers||158,000||@sdproffer?|
|9*||Hustle||The Hustler Club||146,000||@reemteam|
|11||Wellness||The Mindful Creative||124,000||@creative_ian|
|14||Hustle||Digital Marketing Society||107,000||@kingerictyler|
|15||Hustle||Stock Market Moves||104,000||@tahrim_kahlis|
|16||Hustle||The Power Circle||102,000||@spectacular|
|17||Hustle||Modern BLK Girl – Wealth Building for Women of Color||101,000||@modernmercer|
|18||Knowledge||Talk Nerdy to Me||101,000||@techwithx|
|19||Hustle||Future of Work||100,000||@mwm|
|20||Entertainment||Too Broke for Therapy||96,500||@trey_cause|
*OG Club should be ~9th fyi at 150,000’ish followers
Most Followed Clubhouse Accounts
Old list on Feb 5, 2021 (New Below):
|Person||Clubhouse Handle||Number of Clubhouse Followers|
New list on 2/18/21
ClubHouse Stats in China
- Clubhouse is on the Weibo trending chart. One day after Elon Musk appeared on Clubhouse, the hashtag “Clubhouse Invite Code” appeared as a trending topic on the Chinese social media platform.
- Invite codes are for sale. Clubhouse has become so popular in China that those with invitations are now selling it on Xianyu, China’s second-hand marketplace app
- In a sign of how desperate some Chinese netizens are to have a voice on Clubhouse, invitation codes for the app are now sold at 150 yuan to 400 yuan ($23 to $62) on Taobao, an online marketplace owned by Alibaba Group Holding. On Weibo, a Twitter-like app in China, the hashtag #Clubhouse invite code in the past week topped the trending chart. Source
- Chinese ecommerce sites have been selling thousands of Clubhouse invites for up to $77, according to The Financial Times. Source
- Tech insiders are already talking about copying it. PMs are wondering aloud who will copy it first. Wu Yunfei, a member of the product team behind Dizhua (é€’çˆª), an app similar to Clubhouse, wrote that he entered a Clubhouse room with hundreds of Chinese product managers and had “mixed feelings” hearing people talking about how to copy it to China. Justin Sun, a Chinese entrepreneur who founded crypto platform TRON, quickly announced on Twitter that he was building a similar app named “Two” to replicate Clubhouse’s success in China.
- Clubhouse app technology runs on Agora.ai’s platform; Agora.ai is an audio tech startup in Shanghai, China, which went IPO on June 21, 2020.
- On 8 February 2021, the app was blocked in mainland China.
ClubHouse Stats in Japan
- Private social audio app Clubhouse is growing rapidly in Japan and now ranks first among free apps on Apple’s App Store in a test of its international viability following its latest funding round.
- In Japan, it hit a tipping point over the last week with a swelling user base of investors, tech industry workers and media (as of Jan 31, 2021)
- Fashion billionaire Yusaku Maezawa is among public figures shifting activity to the app to talk about the money giveaways that helped make him Japan’s most followed Twitter account with more than 10 million followers.
- Clubhouse, which is backed by venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, is attracting celebrities including Atsushi Tamura, a tech-savvy comedian who invested in recently listed startup Base Inc.
- Japan’s entertainment industry is fragmenting as alternative platforms like YouTube weaken the grip that talent agencies and broadcasters held over the lives of performers.
- Japan has been slow to ride a global boom in audio content, with players like Asahi newspaper belatedly launching their own podcasts.
Popular Regular ClubHouse Rooms
- Felicia Horowtiz’s Virtual Dinner Party: Saturdays at 5p PST Hosted by Felicia Horowitz (backer Ben Horowitz’s wife)
- ClubHouse TownHall: Sundays at 9a PST Hosted by Paul Davison (Co-Founder), Rohan Seth (Co-Founder) & Anu
- Good Time: Nightly at 10p PST (with some days off) Hosted by Sriram Krishnan & Aarthi Ramamurthy
Past Virtual Dinner Parties by Felicia Horowitz
- Not a Virtual Dinner Party, but “Boss Talk” w/ Felicia’s husband Ben, Ali Ghodsi, Marc Andreessen & Felicia on Feb 16, 21
- Michael Ovitz, Fab 5 Freddy, Thelma Golden, Tina Lawson, Van Jones, Ben Horowitz, Richard Lawson, Jules Horowitz, Judy Smith, MC HAMMER, Gayle, Jack Shainman, Terry Crews on Feb 13, 2021. Once a year on Passover, Jews remember they were slaves, more than that, they remember the heroes that brought them to the promised land. Black History Month is our Passover and on Saturday’s CH we will remember the struggle and celebrate the heroes with Thelma Golden, Fab5Freddie, Tina Knowles Lawson and Michael Ovitz.
- Feb 7th’s on YouTube?
- Jan 22, 21, Mayor London Breed, Mayor Steve Adler, Mayor Francis Suarez with Gayle King, Van Jones, Terry Crews, Jeff Lawson, Chris Lyons and Marc Benioff
- a16z Twitter account
- Marc Andreessen’s Twitter account
- Ben Horowitz’s Twitter account
- Felicia’s Twitter account (which should give you great insides for the future and past parties)
Past ClubHouse Town Hall Updates:
- Paul Davison’s Twitter – Co-founder
- Rohan Seths’ Twitter – Co-founder
Feb 21, 2021
-New room limit is 8k
-10 million weekly active users
-People creating production companies specifically for CH / brands wanting them matched up
-Tipping will be to creator, possibly not rolled out to creator pilot group first?
-Want to build tools enabling room creators being sponsored
-Some people using clubhouse as a full time job now
-First discovery engineer joined the team
-CH has blocked the ‘bot’ accounts used for the audio leak and are working to prevent a repeat of it in the future
Feb 14, 2021
-Paul was late due to being in an onboarding room for Senator Tim Kaine!
-2700 rooms this week about love
-Bumble CEO/COO talked about their IPO
-Brazil does a wakeup show similar to Axel’s goodnight show
-Christen played a tribute to Rahaf’s late mother
-Steve Ballmer talked on good time from his hot tub
-No date for elon and kanye yet but things are in motion
-reiteration of share link function (available via the ‘+’ icon)
-reiteration of accessibility improvements
-Lullaby Axel is now the new app icon
-Clubhouse is hiring https://jobs.lever.co/
-new location for club request form : faq > club link
-Club requests being processed today (Feb 14)
-Calendar overhaul coming
-Don’t want anonymous entry into rooms
-Do want room entry / get on stage quietly
-Want to avoid the celeb mobbing, also want to fix not being able to say why you can’t join the stage
-Want to address this also in social rooms
-Changing interest does not change feed immediately, but will over time
-Verification codes via email is actually a bit of work but probably eventually
-Android development starting now ; first android engineer starting this week
-Reiterating giving a moderator badge does not impact room notifications
-Some people have ‘security moderators’ to deal with disruptions
-Current ‘verified’ system is when people link twitter / instagrams, ie if they link a verified account elsewhere they are the real person
-Will be able to / have offensive / insensitive rooms marked as such
-Next release will have features for onboarding an entire community to clubhouse
Feb 7, 2021
–A few interesting possible feature mentions for clubs : Showing club events right on the club page (as well as possibly also doing this for users, ie all the events you schedule will be shown on your profile page)
-There was also a mention of being able to differentiate club founders from admins/members (to address the possibility of being removed from your own club due to the eventual Club Drama)
-Discussion on filtering based on language due to Clubhouse’s expanding global reach!
-Discussion on broadening the types of Clubhouse links that can be shared (ie: links to profiles and club pages)
-Some community members have hardware hacks to make CH more like an actual radio call-in show (google for this!)
-Some form of ‘green room’ functionality (kind of like how you can have a private club room before taking it public) is coming!
–The 5K room member limit will eventually be increased, with a goal of having it infinite!
-Making someone a moderator does NOT have any impact on the room notifications (bap the clout chasers on the nose when you see them doing it!)
-Tipping is still coming, some discussion of whether to make it externally accessible (ie you can tip creators from outside of Clubhouse)
-Accessibility fixes for people who are blind coming (currently some buttons don’t have proper text labels)
-IMPORTANT: There is a growing house-husband movement on Clubhouse that we should all be very thankful for. MORE TO COME!
Other than that, it seems that the NYT vs Techbro war firmly centered in Clubhouse has no signs of abatement!
Jan 31, 2021
-The audience can now report trolling
-Sharing links from within a room to the room is coming!
-The issue with some external links to rooms not working (ie: when you share them via text message) should be fixed!
-We heard again about the ‘one-off’ onboard feature coming soon (think of it like a club event you can schedule for onboarding)
-It’s Black History month! History Club will also be doing events on Black History during Feb too.
-Possible new Club features : Showing upcoming / past events right on the Club page!
-We heard a re-iteration of the fact that follow for follow rooms are not ok!
-We heard a re-iteration of the zero tolerance trolling policy, but also that false reports are equivalent in severity.
-A hack for the hard of hearing : You can pipe Clubhouse audio to Google Meet, turn on the closed captioning and it’s apparently quite accurate!
Jan 24, 2021
-Clubhouse (aka Alpha Exploration Co) has received more funding from a16z and 180 other investors.
-Not mentioned at the town hall, but still a thing, are some a16z changes like Sonal Chokshi leading the a16z content creation to include things outside of portfolio companies.
-Paul and Rohan have a blog post up at https://www.joinclubhouse.
-Android app is coming soon!
-Hiring also being done around accessibility / localization.
-Same day Club approval is coming!
-On the monetization horizon : Tipping (next 2 weeks), Ticketed events, and Subscriptions
-A creator grant program is also on the horizon!
-A notable event : A Moesha cast reunion on Clubhouse!
-A couple in Nigeria met over clubhouse!
-A ‘swipe away’ feature has been added to remove rooms you don’t want to see from the hallway, this will also factor into the algorithm (possibly at a future date).
-New options have also been added to the hand raise queue, you can restrict raises to club members or follows.
-Clubhouse is testing another higher quality audio feature.
-Clubhouse is also looking at ‘one-off’ event onboarding, ie a workflow and features to bring people on CH for an event. (Aside: I think this might already be in play for a few people on Substack like Mike Solana, if you do a paid signup to his newsletter you’ll be sent a link which lets you join his private club).
-Coming is the ability to share a link to a room from within the room itself vs the calendar.
Jan 17, 2021
-In general, the latest improvements made by the team have been centered on backend infrastructure and club creation infrastructure. This means that hopefully your club requests won’t take as long!
-Some user-tangible changes too! If you used the ‘creator name’ feature, you can now remove it. As with other app name changes, this is a one-time thing.
-You can now ‘long-press’ or tap and hold on someone’s name to report a troll. This allegedly will lead to ‘permanent removal’ from Clubhouse.
-An upcoming feature will be the ability to ‘hide’ rooms from your feed, algorithmic consequences (ie you will see rooms like it less often) are also likely upcoming.
-Another upcoming feature will benefit public clubs : An ‘in-between’ state of no hand-raises or everyone can raise their hands, only people in the club can raise their hands.
-The ongoing question of a ‘creator’ user class has been answered with probably not, due to complexity.
-Future plans about clubs seem to indicate that the ‘best’ ones will feature more prominently (this probably means metrics). So in other words, how often a club does events / how well they are attended will probably affect your Club’s ‘rankings’ in Clubhouse.
-Clubhouse DM’s are coming!
-Recording a room on your own (as the creator for wider distribution) is fine if you let everyone know + get permission explicitly from all speakers.
Past Good Time Episodes:
- Cricket w/ Ravichandran Ashwin, Harsha Bhogle & More on Good Time Show | Official Replay – streamed 2/20/21
- Ben Thompson on Good Time on 2/16/21
- Steve Ballmer on Good Time
- Mark Zuckerberg on Good Time on 2/4/21
- The famous Elon Musk on Good time on 1/31/2021 | Recording on YouTube
- The Twitter account for Good Time
- Aarthi Ramamurthy’s Twitter
- Sriram Krishnan’s Twitter
- The Club for Good Time
*Source for the DAUs metrics on 2/21/21: